By Laura Lea Goldberg
• 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter (sub ghee or olive oil)
• 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
• 1 teaspoon curry powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
• 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 1/2 inch pieces
• 1 cup red lentils, washed thoroughly
1. Add ghee to a sauce pot (at least 4 quarts) and turn to medium heat.
When Ghee is melted, add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until translucent and fragrant.
2. Add garlic and sea salt, curry, turmeric, cumin and black pepper. Sauté another minute, stirring. Add tomato paste, chicken stock, sweet potatoes, lentils and bay leaves. Stir everything together and turn heat to a simmer.
3. Simmer stew for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Remove bay leaves. Optional – blend stew with an immersion blender or blend in a mixer for a creamier texture.
For more information: www.llbalanced.com